That is... our blog has moved to a new location. The new blog for Head to Toe Organics is now located at...
Please visit, bookmark and tell all your friends!
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Lavender skin care has been around for centuries. Lavender was commonly used in Roman baths to restore the skin. It is used today for it's calming and relaxing qualities and is moisturizing to the skin. The essential oil is extracted by steam distillation from the fresh flowering tops.
In the bath it is excellent for relaxation, stress relief and aching muscles. When combined with nourishing oils such as cocoa butter, avocado butter and shea butter, it provides soothing relief to dry skin.
Look for lavender in body wash, body lotion, shea butter, bar soap and shampoo. Enjoy it's calming and healing qualities.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Triclosan (used in toothpaste, soap, and hand sanitizer) is being investigated by the USDA. The FDA noted that an animal study showed this chemical may alter hormone regulation. Children are especially at risk for this chemical absorbing into their bloodstream.
According to the FDA, “A cosmetic manufacturer may use any ingredient or raw material and market the final product without government approval". That leaves the door wide open for these companies to use many chemicals that are a risk to our health.
One can only hope that triclosan is the first of many chemicals that will be investigated for consumer safety. The best approach for our own health is to be a label reader. Read ingredient labels so that you are aware of the chemicals in each product. Choose products that are natural and organic and free from toxins that jeopardize your health.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Today's skin care products are so laden with chemicals yet the average consumer is unaware of the harmful effects these toxins cause. People are demanding healthier products and want clean skin care. Keep an eye on the ingredient list when buying body care and avoid products that contain chemicals. Here is a look at three chemicals used in many products today that should be avoided:
- Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl) - These chemicals are commonly used as preservatives. Parabens have been found in breast tumors which shows that these toxins enter the blood stream and affect out health.
- Phthalates - The primary use of this chemical is to make plastics but ends up in soap, hair spray, nail polish and shampoo. Health concerns include endocrine disruption, brain, nervous and immune system disruptions, reproduction and fertility problems.
- Sodium Lauryl (Laureth)Sulfate - Many soaps are made with SLS. It gives soaps their foaming ability. It causes skin and eye irritation, rashes and allergic reactions.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Somewhere in time cosmetic companies decided it was a good idea to add chemicals to skin care while luring us into thinking that these products actually helped our skin. The movement today is to get back to basics and quit inundating our bodies with unnatural toxins. Taking simple steps to keep your skin organic will lead to a healthier body.
- Read ingredients on all skin care products and know what you are buying.
- Research ingredients to educate yourself on the dangers of chemicals used in skin care.
- Support companies that create products that are healthy for you and contain no chemicals.
- Send a message to cosmetic companies that use harmful ingredients and don't buy their products.
If everyone took small steps to eliminate toxins one product at a time, our skin, health and planet would benefit from this healthy lifestyle change. Take the first step today and keep your skin organic!
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
An exfoliating bar soap is a great way to scrub away dead skin cells while cleansing at the same time. Two ingredients that work well to exfoliate in a bar of soap are ground juniper berries and oats. They gently remove dry, flaky skin without drying you out.
Soap bars should also include moisturizing oils to hydrate and soften skin at the same time. Safflower, sunflower, and coconut oils are excellent to aid in hydration. Exfoliating bar soap that is free from chemicals and certified organic keeps your skin glowing and healthy!
Monday, March 8, 2010
There are many harmful ingredients in soap. Here are some dangers in soap and good reasons to keep your bar soap organic:
- Sodium tallowate is often used to make bar soap. It is the fat renderings from meat processing. Hormones, antibiotics and toxins are stored in animal fat and then this fat is used to make soap.
- Sodium lauryl sulfates are added to soap to make it lather more. This chemical can cause skin irritation.
- Fragrances are used to give soap its scent. There are over 200 reported chemicals used in fragrances but none have to be listed in the ingredients because they are cloaked under the word "fragrances".
Head To Toe Organics wants to help you keep your bar soap organic by offering 25% off organic bar soap. Eleven scents available.